Saturday, July 3, 2010

What dreams may come

So...I haven't blogged in awhile and felt that I should blog.

I had a strange dream lastnight...there was a boy and a girl in a field and the boy was sparkling..

OK NO.

That wasn't my dream.

The real dream was that one of the agents, who has a partial of MY PAPER HEART, sent a postcard with a form rejection, but then on the back wrote "HAHA SUCKA."

It's kind of funny and sad in the same way...  If you didn't know this, yes, MY PAPER HEART did start out when I had weird dream sequence.  I had this idea in my head for a long time of a girl getting the letter that she had failed out of college and have to move away.  Well every way I could think about it just made it seem like the same story over and over.  Then I had a dream that involved a girl dancing, a boy with the most striking blue eyes I had ever seen, and a child yelling for her mother in the woods.  Since I was away on a trip there was nothing I could do, but just think about it.  I actually had an Insurance exam coming up and thought I would study on the eight hour ride home, but instead I just started writing and didn't stop.

A dream may have started the story, but a bad dream will not end it.  I love this story too much for that to happen.  I did have to come to the realization that even though my main character is nineteen and sounds like a teenage girl...it's not a YA book.  It definitely has cross over potential and could even possibly sit near the YA section (think the Jessica Darling series), but I'm going to stop labeling it as that.

There are two categories that I'm actually playing with, within the chick lit genre.  According to RWA's Chick Lit subgenre there are:

Single Title (Contemporary, Contemporary Series): If your heroine, like Bridget Jones, reveals her innermost fears and unsightly blemishes on the way to self-acceptance, she’ll fit in with the classics of the genre. (Think: Too Good to Be True by Kristan Higgins, Easy on the Eyes by Jane Porter)




Women’s Fiction (Mainstream): Finding a dreamy man isn’t the only challenge women face. If your central plot revolves around another obstacle in your heroine’s life–with romance on the side–she’ll be at home in this category. 
(Think: Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin, Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella)



Note: Trying to figure out the difference between Single Title and Women’s Fiction (Mainstream)? Single Title entries are romance-focused and will usually have the happily-ever- after ending. Women’s Fiction is less about the romance and more about the journey through life.


I'm leaning more towards women's fiction for the pure fact that I put in a cliff hanger ending, but we shall see how it goes.

I'm excited to continue this journey and though I have dreams to continue on and have writing as my career, I won't let those dreams of postcards saying "HAHA SUCKA" ruin me.

*note I will NOT name agents until I have signed a contract and am officially represented by one...though I really want to tell this agent about my dream and think it's hillarious. 

So...what are your dreams?  How are you going about acheiving them?  Do you let those road blocks get in the way?

1 comment:

  1. That's not a dream. That's a nightmare, Girlmance. Good luck with finding the right label for your book. :)

    And you already know my dream is to move to NY and become an agent and published author. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.