Friday, July 8, 2011

Reviews&Recipes: Original Sin and Sinful Angel Cake

It was all a lie - a beautiful illusion.



In this sensual follow up to PERSONAL DEMONS, Frannie and Luc return, but Gabe takes a little break and lets a familiar guardian take the celestial guarding duties.  Unfortunately, this new angel isn’t as heavenly as Gabe and brings them all a little piece of the dark side that no one can resist.

Release date:  July 6, 2011
Page Count:  400
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Similar to:  Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Recommended for:  Girls 14 and up
Stars: 4/5


The Good:

*Desrochers created a story that was, simply put, Un-putdown able!  There were so many unexpected twists and turns that I nearly gasped out loud at certain scenes. This book may be a sequel, but it was able to shine on its own without feeling like the dreaded connector book in a trilogy.

*Frannie may have been my favorite from Personal Demons, but Luc stole the show from me in this follow up novel.  His transition from sexy demon to an awkward new role as a teenage boy was so wonderfully done that I’m starting to wonder if Desrochers actually has personal experience with a  demon turned teenager.  All three of the characters whose viewpoints shaped this story had such distinct voices that it made me feel like I knew each one of them and how the world viewed them as well.

The not-as-good:

*Sensuality isn’t a bad thing, but if it’s something you’d be uncomfortable recommending to your mother-in-law then it might be a problem.  There was a lot of sexual tension between characters (some of the same sex) and while it wasn’t graphic, it’s still not something you maybe want to share with your grade school cousins.

All in all, I think this was a fantastic follow up to Personal Demons.  I felt like Desrochers read my last review and then took all the stuff that I loved, put more of it in there, and then took the stuff that I didn’t like and took most of it out.  The only reason I didn’t give this book five stars was because I can’t recommend it to everyone with the large amount of sensuality, but if you are looking for a novel with a  great story, an amazing cast of characters, and some scenes that may have you questioning why you are so turned on by the girl next door, then this book is for you!

Sinful Angel Cake with an Espresso glaze

*1 20oz can cherry pie filling
*1 box angel food cake mix
*1/3 cup baking cocoa
*1 cup powdered sugar
*2 Tbsp coffee
* 1/2 tsp vanilla

-Mix pie filling, cake mix, and cocoa together (do not add water).  Pour into 9x13 baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
-In a separate bowl mix together powdered sugar, coffee, and vanilla.  Pour glaze over still warm cake.

A little darkness, a little bit angelic, and a little bit of caffeine because you'll be up all night reading this book!



No comments:

Post a Comment

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.