Tuesday, September 6, 2011

First Campaigner Challenge!

You know I'm going to end up following all of you back...eventually...when my child stops teething (Oh please let that be soon!)

Until then you get THIS first campaigner challenge

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “The door swung open” These four words will be included in the word count.



If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), use the same beginning words and end with the words: "the door swung shut." (also included in the word count)

And here is my attempt:
 
The door swung open and all eyes were on me. The last time I had been dressed in all white at church was my first communion and while that had twice the people, not all of them were watching me as they were today.


I took my steps slowly, not wanting to make my sweetie wait, but just taking my time and letting it all in. We had been waiting years for this day and now that it was finally here I wanted to enjoy every minute of it.

Alot of my family didn't show up, not approving of the marriage, but as the people who truly cared about me looked on with awe as I made my way down the aisle, I knew that I was doing the right thing.

Finally I made it to the altar as the pastor looked down at me, I took one last look at the crowd before he began.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to join Alison Marie Clark and Jennifer Louise Smith in Holy Matrimony."

And then on all the naysayers and angry protestors, the door slammed shut.


188 words, BOO YAH.

20 comments:

  1. I liked the ending! It was a nice little twist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great twist! Nice. I have a little something for you on my blog :)

    Good luck with your little one. Poor thing, teething is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice twist. Teething is nothing just wait to the tantrum years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely get to this. Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sweet little story. Nice, Magan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, excellent! I was expecting a sweet wedding day. And it was sweet... except for those protestors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! That rocked, especially the door slamming shut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the door slamming shut on the haters! Nice touch. Hi, fellow campaigner here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a twist to keep the reader guessing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nicel done. Mine (#72) concerns a wedding too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story. Totally loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome description throughout. Feeling a twist coming at the end, I had a feeling that's the direction it was headed. Excellent writing!

    Great job, Magan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, you should get those teething tablets from Wal-mart. Best thing ever.

    And nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alot should be two words :)

    Nice twist at the end :) Good luck with your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like seeing how everyone creates such different worlds when that door swings open. You've done a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope the teething is over soon, as I remember how 'unfun' that is as a parent. Chewing on those frozen teethers helps, and a damp frozen wash cloth went over well with mine. :)

    I liked you story. I like a story with a message, and this one underlines the fact that we all have the same right to enjoy our lives and it live it the way we want, and pooh to the prudes who don't approve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have judged your peice and it has qualified to move on to stage two. CONGRADS!
    I thought your last sentence was a bit awkward but overall I really liked your peice. Good luck in round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing in the challenge! I, too, approved of your twist ending, and it's nice to meet you, fellow Campaigner!

    ReplyDelete

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.