Monday, March 5, 2012

Pop culture references in writing

I know, I know I always say that I HATE when pop culture references are made in books. With that said, one would also notice that my books do contain alot of pop culture reference.


It was brought to my attention by one of my critique partners *ahemKelseyKetchahem* that I do note some things that aren't exactlly relevant to everyone.  Now I could tell you all to google them, or I could just show you some of them now.




The Graduate

 Are you trying to Seduce me Mrs. Robinson? This classic line was uttered in this film that was made WAY before I was born, but I'm always a sucker for Dustin Hoffman. If you haven't seen the movie you should probably rent it,  you may actually get scenes in a few more modern movies (ala the pounding on the glass while the wedding of someone else is going on downstairs).











James Dean, Rebel Without a Cause- Seriously, the epitome of cool. Even if you don't know who he is, you've seen his picture. The black leather jacket, blonde hair, smiling as he leans over the car door. Okay, so maybe you all don't know who he is, but here is a fact. James Dean starred in the movie Rebel without a Cause and shortly after lost his life in a deadly car crash. Forever he will be immortalized as the car driving rebel without a cause.



Marlon Brando- Before Marlon Brando was The GodFather with grapes stuffed in his mouth he was the beautiful bad boy in A Streetcar Named Desire. When people scream, 'STELLA,' that is his famous scene from that movie. Learned something knew didn't you?



Office and a Gentleman- I like Richard Geere, he is in the same league as Dustin Hoffman for me. He did this movie 'An officer and a Gentleman.' He was the gentleman. One of the most iconic scenes in the movie is when he is standing in the rain and says "I've got nowhere else to goooooooo." My college roommate used to say that to me all the time and I loved her for it.

Any other references that make absolutely no sense to you any my books? Any old Hollywood movies that you love? Anyone see Tootsie?

1 comment:

  1. Loved this blog! I absolutely adore movies and I have waaaay too many favorites to try to narrow them down!

    ReplyDelete

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.