Friday, January 25, 2013

Why I believe in Insta-Love

There are a lot of blog posts out there talking about the cliche of insta-love and how they don't believe it. I used to think that Cinderella rubbish was for the stupid and then insta-love happened to me.

At twenty I started my junior year of college and just got out of a year and a half long relationship when I moved into my new apartment. I wasn't looking for love. I had too many relationships that did nothing but fail and decided to have some fun.

And fun I did. I dated random guys from my political science classes, went out to parties, and had to do the "walk of shame" more than once. But none of it felt right. None of these guys gave me the butterflies. By November I just got out of another bad fling in which the guy had a girlfriend the entire time we were together. So one of my sorority sisters finally decided she was going to hook me up with one of her boyfriend's friends.

I wasn't so sure about that one.

She told me he was looking for a girlfriend and older, so he would actually be able to take me out instead of the many guys I believe just hung out with me because my sorority house had a chef. I reluctantly agreed, put on a pair of heels and headed with her to a hockey game.

One look at the guy she wanted to hook me up with and I curled my upper lip. Not that looks are everything, but come on now. BUT his cute friend was sitting next to him. His VERY cute friend.

One of my sorority sister's friends gave me the scoop on the cute friend. He wasn't like the guys I was used to dating. He had a real job, a house, a new car, and was basically a southern gentleman. Helllooooo.

I walked right up to him and started talking and didn't stop. The moment I sat down I knew it wasn't going to be some fling. A guy like him didn't do flings. Within a night I was twitterpated and in less than a month I knew I was going to spend the rest of my life with him.

Almost six years later I'm still with the cute friend from the hockey game. We were married in 2010 and had our first child in 2011. I believe in insta-love because I felt it the moment I saw him. He was everything I needed in my life and then some.

I may not always believe in the insta-love that characters have in some books, but there are exceptions to every rule and my husband was definitely my exception.





Do you believe in insta-love? Why or why not?

3 comments:

  1. Okay this was such a sweet post! And I agree. This is how it happened for me. I just knew and so it happens to characters. Not to everyone, but it does happen. I think people just want variety, BUT insta-love does happen and it shouldn't be shunned or marked as unbelievable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to believe in insta-love, but so far I'm 20 year old, never been love, the closest I've is crushin and pining for one of my guy friends... I want to believe one day I'll meet that one person that makes me feel butterflies in my stomach, and fluttery and nervous and and makes my heart like it's having a marathon.
    *sigh* I loved your post thoguh, it was soo sweet, I had a few "awww" moments reading it :) Congratulations on the baby by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met a guy once and within a week we were dating. We dated almost a year and even though we've been apart for what..three years now? I still love him. I'm not sure if that will ever change. So I know sometimes love happens, and you just need to go with it.

    -K8
    http://froze8.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.