Friday, September 24, 2010

Fangirl Friday

Fangirl Friday presents Freelance Editor/ Agent Intern:  Cassandra Marshall

C.A. Marshall is a freelance editor, lit agent intern, YA writer, and loves to play with her dog Mollie. She dreams of one day owning a small house near the water, preferably in England, with a shelf full of books she has written and has helped others to write. She can be found in Emmett, MI and at camarshall.com.

Magan:  So you're a freelance editor, how did you get into freelancing?


Cassandra:  I was editor for my undergrad annual chapbook and would trade papers and poems and short stories to edit. Eventually I started doing longer things and then a few MS's for friends. Then those friends recommended me and then those people recommended me... I just kinda fell into it, but I thank my lucky stars everyday to be doing something I love.

Magan:  What kind of projects do you take on to edit?

Cassandra:  I have a soft spot for YA, but I edit and read queries for all sorts of projects.

Magan:  How do you approach editing and what can your clients expect from you?

Cassandra:  I start by reading it once through just to get a feel for the characters and writing style. Then I go back over it to take notes for the editorial letter and/or do copyedits. In the end, the client will get their MS back with both "small picture" notes in the MS itself, and "big picture" notes in the editorial letter.

Magan:  What made you want to be an editor?

Cassandra:  I love working behind the scenes, helping to shape things to become more than anyone ever dreamed of. Plus, being able to work in my pajamas, at my own leisure, with my dog Mollie at me feet... that's not bad either!


Magan:   If you weren't an editor what would you want to be doing?

Cassandra:  Writing books. Or crafting on etsy. My etsy store never took off though. I was born to edit. :P


Magan:  What do you like to read in your spare time that isn't unfinished manuscripts?

Cassandra:  YA! I think I've read every book in my library's section (but it's quite shamefully tiny) so I interlibrary loan a lot of books. I currently have 22 out and 17 on hold. I usually get through 10 books a week. I consider it research for both writing and editing. Like I said, my job is awesome.

Magan:   How do you balance life as a freelance editor, agent intern, and writer?

Cassandra:  Because all three of them are completely flexible, I can choose to focus on one for awhile, like a big or rush edit, and the others will wait a few days. Or sometimes we'll get a lot of queries and I'll have to sit and read those all day. And if I'm in the middle of reading a query, and an idea sparks, I can stop everything and sit down to write for a few hours. All three complement in a spectacular way that a 9-5 job just can't compete with.



Magan:   If Hollywood were to make a movie about your life, who would you want to play you in that movie?

Cassandra:  Anne Hathaway. I think she's amazing. And we sort of have the same coloring, if not the same body shape. (I need a pair of those undies that say "Don't judge me, this is a writer's butt"


Magan:   Favorite book, movie, and TV show?

Cassandra:  You're killing me with these... Umm..

Book: Uh... Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy or JK Rowling's Order of the Pheonix... But Jane Austen is my fav writer, hands down.

Movie: Um... The Family Stone. And the 2005 version of Pride & Prejudice. And Disney's The Gnome Mobile. And The Little Mermaid.

TV show: I don't watch TV. Ever. But I do play a lot of Harry Potter Wii :)


Magan:  Famous last words?

Cassandra:  "Call the locksmith!" (Robin Hood: Men in Tights.)
 
Thanks Magan!
 
Thanks Cassandra and if you are looking for a freelance editor who specializes in YA, Cassandra is  your girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.