Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Musings: Character Chemistry





I don't want you all to get too excited and start sending me flowers and edible arrangements, but tomorrow is my two year wedding anniversary.

It seems like only yesterday (even thought it was five years ago) that I met my husband. And for some reason we still have that chemistry. He still likes to cuddle when we sleep at night and I still love to get dressed up for him or try out a new recipe.

It's like this when we write characters or read them. We want to see that initial spark, that initial chemistry, and then see how it expands throughout the novel (or the series).

There are so many couples in literature that have that *spark* that can continue on through novel after novel even after the initial flame has died down.

Some of my favorites include:

Sookie and Bill- The Sookie Stackhouse Series
I'm not going to give away any spoilers for the books, but even though Sookie has met many different men throughout this series, Bill is the one that always seems to still make her heart flutter even if it's not clearly written.

Noah and Allie - The Notebook
I'm not a fan of the movie, but Nicholas Sparks does a beautiful job in the novel weaving the story of two people whose love can transcend time and place.

Kate and Taylor - My Sister's Keeper
I'm ashamed to say I have not read the book yet (the movie made me cry so much I had to wait to read it), but I loved the chemistry of the two cancer patients brought together because of their shared medical condition, but then ultimatley went beyond that.

Okay, you got me, most of these are adult novels. So you have any favorites that spark your interest? What makes that character chemistry work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.