Thursday, January 2, 2014

Throwback Thursday: How to Break up with an Alien

Most #throwbackthursday or #tbt posts are people putting up pictures of them from high school or grade school, but I decided to do something different. I'm going to post excerpts and teasers from my older books that y'all might not be as familiar with. Maybe this meme will catch on. Maybe it wont.



Last #ThrowbackThursday I did a post from How to Date an Alien, so today I'm continuing on with the alien tried and posting an excerpt from How to Break up with an Alien. Enjoy!




One would think that saving the world from evil aliens would be enough to exempt me from my senior year of high school. Or even the fact that I was promised to the prince of Calta, home of said evil aliens. A future Caltian princess needed her beauty sleep. But no, I was expected to join the non-alien masses in Advanced Senior English at 8 a.m., which meant I had to be awake enough to get through my school and work day. Only there weren't enough sheep in the world to count my way into sleep. My anger and annoyance kept me wide awake.

A brilliant blue light streamed down from my bedroom ceiling, reflecting off the mirror above my dresser.

“You’re late,” I mumbled, not even lifting my head from the pillow.

The light disappeared and the weight shifted on the left side of my bed. A cold burst of air bore through my covers and I knew that my alien was nearby.

“I’m sorry. There was some sort of Martian threat on the Utah capital and I had to handle it.” Ace’s warm fingers brushed against my cheek. The rest of his body might have been cold, but his hands were always warm and left me with a sensation that I couldn't resist. It felt like rubbing aloe on a sunburn.

“A likely excuse.” I opened my eyes and grabbed my glasses from the nightstand, placing them on my face and sitting up next to him.

“But I brought you something.” He grinned, pulling a box from behind his back with a giant cartoon purple dinosaur on it.

“Feeble Weebles!” I tried not to scream and wake up my family in the middle of the night, but it was freaking Feeble Weebles! The Caltian cereal that was like Lucky Charms but with only marshmallows.

“So does this make up for me being late?” He leaned in closer.

I nearly brushed my lips against his, pulling the cereal from his grasp. “I’ll think about it.”

“Oh, come on, for me?” He lifted his eyebrows and flashed his irresistible smile that could have been on its own cereal box.

I swallowed, setting the box on my nightstand. I tried to think of something to say instead of just staring at the way his temperature control suit molded to body. With his body's normal temperature being half of what a human's was, he always had to wear it when he visited, which was supposed to be around ten o’clock instead of two in the morning.

"I just wanted to come and wish you luck on your first day of school and work." He ran his fingers along where my sleeve met my arm. "Sorry, I couldn’t get here earlier.”

“Is this what it’s always going to be like?” I looked up to meet his eyes. They were endless pools of black, a bit frightening, but intriguing at the same time.

“Always like what?” He lay down next to me, his long body spreading along my twin-sized bed while he propped his spiky-haired head up on his extended arm.

I sighed. “Me waiting up for you, only to have you show up late or busy with some alien duty.”

Ace shook his head, his hair brushing against my headboard. “I hope not. Once you are at Northern Arizona, I can arrange to see you more often. Then we won’t have to worry about sneaking around when your mother isn’t awake, and you can even come see me instead of this beaming thing.”

I lay down next to him, pressing my body to his. His muscles shivered underneath me, and even through the temperature control suit I could feel his icy hot chill. “How about you figure out how to beam me places, and then I can just come see you at work whenever I want?”

Ace pressed his forehead to mine, his eyes dark and close. “Why must you ask me questions that you know are impossible?”

“Impossible things are happening every day.”

Ace let out a silent laugh, the cold air blowing through his nose and tickling my lips. “You stayed up watching musicals while you were waiting for me, didn’t you?”

“I can sing some of them if you would like.”

“I think there is something better that you can do with your mouth than sing.”

He tilted his head and pressed his lips to mine. After waiting all night for him, the electric current his touch sent through my lips and all the way down almost made up for it. Almost.

"Alex?" a woman's voice rang through the door.

Crap, my mom. I broke the kiss and put my finger to my lips. Ace rolled off the side of my bed and crawled underneath it. I pulled the comforter up and over the side to try and hide him the best I could.

The door squeaked open and mom poked her blond mess of hair in. She reached her fingers under her thick glasses, rubbing her eyes. “Is everything alright? I thought I heard something?”

"Oh, no, just woke up and thought I would listen to some Ira Glass podcasts.” I pushed the comforter farther onto the side of my bed, hoping that she wouldn't walk over and see Ace lying between the bed and the window.

"Oh.” She glanced at my IPod in the dock. Hopefully she was too sleepy and wouldn’t realize that nothing was actually on. “Well you should probably get to sleep. I know the first day of school is exciting, but it'll be better if you are awake for it. You need your rest."

"Okay, I will do that.”

She nodded and I thought she would leave the room, but instead she walked over to my nightstand. My heart pounded as I thought about how close she was to finding Ace under my bed. Hopefully he didn’t breathe too loud.

“What is this?” She picked up the box of Feeble Weebles, squinting at the giant purple dinosaur.

“Just some cereal I got the other day. Been hiding it in my room so I wouldn’t have to share with Elijah.” Good excuse, Alex, Good excuse.

Mom shook her head. “I’ve never seen anything like this before.”

I shrugged. “Yeah it’s new.”

“Huh. Alright, well next time let me know when you get a box and I will try and get some for Elijah as well.”

“Will do.”

Finally she walked to the door and closed it behind her. I waited until I heard the door to her bedroom shut before I pulled up the comforter and leaned over the side of the bed. But Ace wasn't there. Nothing but dust bunnies.

Huh.

I sat back up and felt something cold against my back. I looked up and there was Ace, kneeling behind me.

"Looking for something?" He placed his hands on my shoulders and brushed his lips to my forehead.

If only I had the speed that my alien boyfriend had, then I could just zip through my senior year and forget about distance and mom’s annoyingly great sense of hearing. But when said alien boyfriend was in my bed, I wanted nothing more than the opposite speed. I wanted to freeze time to keep everything just the way it was.
 
 
Want more of How to Break up with an Alien?
 
Get it today on all Eretailers or in Paperback! And don't forget that How to Date an Alien is also free everywhere!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.