Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Writerly Wednesday

I'm not going to write you a review, because you asked for it, because you need one


Let me start out with saying that I have nothing against giving book reviews, but I am just not going to write them.  This all started because of a little extrodinary book that I am reading entitled HUSH, HUSH.  You say, "That book has been out FOREVER dude."  I am well aware of this.  I have been wanting to read it for months, feeling the cover everytime I go into Barnes and Noble and even going as far as reading the prologue.

So, then what stopped me from buying it?

The reviews.

Now I should start off by saying that I really didn't enjoy the prologue either (third person prologue set in the past with a first person narrative, ehhhh not a fan).  Actually the whole beginning kind of threw me off, but as I dove into the book it mesmerized me and I couldn't put it down.  But I would have never gotten a chance to read this wonderful book if I didn't learn to ignore the reviews.

If you look on Amazon and Barnes and Noble dot com there are alot of horrible reviews for this book.  People talked about how Nora was a terrible character, the relationship wasn't believeable with her and patch and even more so they talked about her annoying best friend.  I'm going to have to say that I disagree with all of these statements.  Seriously this book was one of the best that I've read this year and I almost didn't read it because of a few reviews.

So, in turn, I will not try and sway you one way or another on a book (unless it's mine).  I know that not everyone has the same tastes in books (thus critique partners can be really hard in this sense), so I'm not going to push my views one way or the other.  I like a wide range of books (Everything from the YA comedies of Georgia Nicholson to the very adult Nora Roberts) and I think it would be unfair for me to rate them either way.


Other than that...I hope you are enjoying your Wednesday and cheers to you!


2 comments:

  1. Oh I loved hush, hush and am so excited for the sequel. Whenever I look at reviews for a book, I read the negative and the positive ones, along with a couple sample pages and then try to decide if it's worth the money and time to read it. Too often I've read glowing reviews and got a book and realized I didn't care for it at all and the opposite too has happened where I love a book others don't like. In the end you just have to trust your own instincts when a book shouts out at you, "pick me, pick me"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good advice! I should have listened to Hush, Hush. Everytime I went into Barnes and Noble, Patch would just whisper in my mind "pick me up, read me." Being in writer's groups have also made me realize how subjective people's writing is. Some may love it and some may hate it, but it's definitely your gut that screams the loudest.

    ReplyDelete

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.