Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My favorite literary characters

So in honor of my loves..and to kind of mirror a post I did over on Steph Bowe’s blog, I decided to write my top ten favorite literary characters and the reasons as to why I love them.

10) Maggie (In her Shoes)- There are two big things I look for when I read characters, a.) I want them to feel like real people and b.) I want them to really develop and grow into their characters. Maggie is no exception to this. She starts out as just some dumb blonde little sister and fully grows into a remarkable young woman that helps her sister out when she needs it the most.

9.)Bridget (Sisterhood of the traveling pants) – Okay so she’s a little bit my favorite of the characters because I kind of had a girl crush on Blake Lively for a long time, but that’s beside the point. I thought Bridget was the most well rounded character; when she felt sad I really felt sad. I loved hearing her story and think that she could have carried her own book all on her own.

8.) Bubba (The Sookie Stackhouse series) – For all of you who have read the series you know about Bubba aka Elvis. I picked Bubba as one of my favorite literary characters just because Charlaine Harris knows how to work a character! Who would have thought to make Elvis a slow vampire that likes cats? Even his demeanor just makes him so likeable! If you’ve only seen the show you really need to read the book series, if for nothing else to read about Bubba!

7.) Jacob (Twilight) – Now I am not some little Twi-hard or anything or on Team Jacob, but I do think that his character (on and off screen) was the most developed. I really believed in his change from innocent native American boy to troubled werewolf. The only change I saw in Edward was him becoming more of a pansy and with Bella, her becoming more needy. Now you can bash me all you want, but like I said I want characters that really develop and grow, and I think throughout the franchise Jacob was the only one that really did that for me.

6. ) Brittany (Perfect Chemistry) – Can I just say that I absolutely adored this book? I loved the chemistry of the two main characters and how they grew together and as their own people. I chose Brittany over Alex, just because I can relate a little bit more to the female character and I LOVED her back story. If you haven’t read this book yet, it’s not the typical blonde cheerleader meets bad boy, there is a whole other level that is just amazing.

5.) Sumner Lee (That Summer) – I really don’t care that he cheated on the sister; I still don’t believe he did in fact I think Sarah Dessen lies. I love me some southern boys and just the description of his lazy Alabama accent and care free attitude drew me in. He may have not been the most believable character with his thirty million jobs and love of hanging out with fifteen year olds and old people, but I just can’t help it…ladies love country boys.

4.) Holden Caulfield (Catcher and the Rye) – How can I do a list without Holden? One of the most beloved literary characters of all time! When I read this book, I felt like Holden was in modern times I didn’t even think about how long ago this was written. He was such a well developed and real character that I couldn’t put the book down. Bravo high school English class you did good!

3.) Charlie (The perks of being a wallflower) – This has only been a recent read for me, but I couldn’t help but fall in love with Charlie. He may cry more than any other human being, but his awkwardness is more than charming, it’s downright irresistible. There are some very dark moments in this book that you will only understand at the very end, but when you realize it, it will take your breath away.

2.) Jessica Darling (The Jessica Darling series) – If you haven’t read any of these books, GET THEM. I’ve said before that Marcus Flutie and Jessica Darling are my favorite literary couple and I have to stick by that. I love how well Jessica is developed and Megan Mccafferty did an excellent job of creating the female Holden that she longed for. I really wish that Jessica was real so that we could hang out and eat some donut holes while listening to Barry Manilow.

Number one is a tie are you ready for it?


Get ready…


Get set…



Number one is…

Libby Gentry and Blaine Crabtree!

Yes, yes I did pick my own characters, but really what’s not to love? They have every essence that I could put into them to make into characters that I would love and I must say that I succeeded. I love the suburban socialite and the Southern boy charm; it makes me happy every time I read my manuscript. Someday they will be in print and everyone may just love them as much as I do…

No comments:

Post a Comment

You should leave me a comment. It would probably make me smile and then I will probably comment back. Unless you are a spambot. Then I will probably just ignore you.